Having seen the two 3D fabric ideas
I wanted to have a go as part of my sampling. Using just card, PVA glue and some cotton fabric I experimented. The first sample I tried didn’t work well because the geometric pattern didn’t allow for straight lines of fabric and is included in the samples sent.
I also experimented with mixing cement with paint to create a cracked texture on fabric. This was very satisfying and worked well. It may be a good idea to experiment with the mix ratios of paint to cement if I did want to use this technique at any point. I used approx 50% acrylic paint to 50% cement and the colour of the paint was almost completely lost. It would be a useful texture as part of an art piece but wouldn’t work well as part of something functional as it is very flakey and could get quite heavy.
I used Hama beads melted onto fabric to see if they would fuse to the fabric and was really pleased with the results. They melt into fabric and stick but create hard smooth areas and because of their colour they remind me of chromosomes.
Using a sample of 100% hand knitted wool, I tied found items and secured them with elastic bands. I then machine washed the piece. After drying it I removed the items and the elastic bands. The areas not tied had shrunk and felted but the areas streched around the found objects remained almost the same as they had before washing. This is a really interesting technique which gives knitting a 3-dimensional element.